Wondering how to keep your smile healthy? It starts with the enamel! Enamel is one of the most important layers of your teeth. Here’s what you need to know about keeping your enamel in great shape for a lifetime.
What Is Tooth Enamel?
Tooth enamel makes up the hard outer layer of teeth. Enamel is crucial for preserving and protecting the vitality of a tooth. It provides a tough barrier for teeth from everyday wear and tear. Enamel is made up of a strong, naturally occurring mineral called hydroxyapatite.
Common Signs of Enamel Damage
There are some signs you can watch for to determine whether or not your enamel is in jeopardy:
- Tooth Sensitivity to Hot & Cold
- Tooth Discoloration From Exposed Dentin (the inner layer of teeth)
- Cracked, Chipped, or Broken Teeth
When enamel erodes, teeth are more susceptible to cavities, decay, and infection. If you currently see any of the above signs, please contact us at Prairie Dental Group right away.
How to Strengthen Your Tooth Enamel
Over time, tooth enamel demineralizes and softens, weakening the tooth. Luckily, there are many ways to restore and remineralize the enamel to keep your smile healthy and strong! Here are our top tips to strengthen your tooth enamel:
- Brush & floss daily
- Drink plenty of water
- Get any necessary fluoride treatments
- Maintain a balanced diet full of vitamins & nutrients
- Avoid chewing on ice, nut shells, popcorn hulls, etc.
- Use fluoridated toothpaste & mouthwash
- Talk to your dentist if you notice yourself clenching or grinding your teeth
Schedule Your Biannual Cleaning & Exam
Are you overdue for your biannual dental cleaning and exam? Please contact our office to schedule your checkup. We look forward to hearing from you!Contact Us